The victim was placed under the care of the Colchester Rescue crew, including Paramedic Carter Neville, SMFR alumnus ’08. Carter treated the victim for second degree burns over 15 percent of his body and intubated the victim when they arrived at the hospital for treatment of the burns. Once the scene was under control and all residents were evacuated, an investigation was performed and it is believed the victim had fallen asleep smoking a cigarette in bed which caught the mattress and pillows on fire.
An excellent job was done by all responding units and especially the SMFR crew. I couldn’t be more proud of all the SMFR Firefighters who responded that morning. It was great to see all of our training and hard work come to fruition at such an important call! - Asst. Chief Erik Haversang, '11